In this blog, I talk through some key conversations I had with people who changed the trajectory of my life. Who were they? What was the conversation? What was the outcome of listening to their advice? I know that I would not be where I am today if it had not been for those conversations… AND that I listened. At the end of the episode, I unpack what to look for in a wise counselor and give you pointers where to find them!
Where there is no counsel, the people fall;
But in the multitude of counselors, there is safety.
1. Bill Pascoe – Farmer, a friend of my father
Counseled me from investing two years in higher education to investing FOUR years in higher education, resulting in a 10x world of opportunities. I ended up winning a scholarship that resulted in working for the leading agricultural business consultancy company AND being mentored by the leading consultant in the country.
2. Mike Connell – Pastor
Counseled me from over-reacting to poor leadership by avoiding leadership opportunities to making myself available and not letting those poor examples define me. The result was an immediate promotion in my work.
3. Kris Vallotton – Leader, overseer
Counseled me on starting our online platform with a very lean model – limited to our cash-on-hand to thinking and believing bigger, getting funding and employing someone immediately. The result was $90k of funding and a platform that became financially sustainable within 9 months of launch.
4. Tony Stoltzfus – Board member, coach, friend
Counseled me from blindly trusting God to provide, to confronting my fear of asking for help and asking God who I should talk with. The result was that I overcame the lies that I was using ‘God’ to hide behind, asking six different people for funding, growing deeper in relationship with ALL of them AND ending up with a fully funded proposal.
Without counsel, plans go awry,
But in the multitude of counselors, they are established.
Benefits of wise counsel:
- Before counsel, I was only accessing my intelligence and thought. After counsel, I accessed a collective intelligence = decades more wisdom and experience that multiplies what I could step into.
- Before counsel, I was thinking small. After counsel, my bubble of thinking was popped and replaced with something 100 times bigger. AND the belief I could DO THIS.
- Before counsel, I was limited to my friends and circle of influence. After counsel, I gained access to a much wider group of people that could add value, wisdom, and resources.
- Before counsel, my decision was being motivated by fear. After counsel my perspective was changed, my beliefs were adjusted and I started making healthy decisions.
- Before counsel, I was my own accountability ie. there was none. After counsel I had someone asking me the painful questions I would naturally avoid on my own. The result = momentum.
- Before counsel, I was thinking short term: me, my world, now. After counsel, I was thinking about the bigger picture, how this would affect others and the eternal impacts.
Bottom line? YOU NEED WISE COUNSEL.
For by wise counsel you will wage your own war,
And in a multitude of counselors, there is safety.
Where can you find wise counsel?
- The Ancient book of wisdom… Proverbs. The Bible.
- Books, courses, industry magazines – there are a LOT of free GOOD sources of wise counsel. I have an Audible subscription, listen to podcasts, watch youtube videos, pay for online courses…
- Professionals (qualified and experienced counselors, advisors, pastors, coaches, consultants…). I have a relationship with a professional coach, marriage counselor, pastor, mentor, advisory board.
- Friends/community/service group. I meet with three friends every two weeks where we have built trust to speak into one another’s lives. I have also met wise counselors by being on a board of directors with them. Others I have met by serving my community and ending up serving alongside them.
Your Action Steps:
- Tag and send gratitude to the wise counselors in your life.
- Apply for Heaven in Business Advisory Services to grow what you are doing with God in the marketplace.
Andy Mason comes from New Zealand and has 15+ years experience helping individuals and organizations discover and align with purpose, then develop practical steps to make dreams a reality.He has worked for a national consultancy firm and leading financial institution as well as investing in international community development.Andy is the director of Heaven in Business and together with his wife, Janine, leads Dream Culture – a movement catalyzing people to discover and live their dreams. Andy and Janine live with their four children in Redding, CA. For more check out the AndyandJanine.com